Cranberry Thanksgiving Read Aloud


This lesson incorporates two of my favorite teacher things- picture books and Post-It Notes! 

The picture book this time is...

Cranberry Thanksgiving 
by Wendy and Harry Devlin 

and it is a real gem. I LOVE using "vintage" picture books with kids. This book was written in 1971- and the message in the story is just as powerful today- maybe even more so!


This book lends itself well to a whole list of reading skills- but I decided to pull a few out to really focus on...
*determining the central message, or lesson, in the text
*describing characters in a story (their traits, motivations, and feelings)

There is also a great example of a simile (page 1), the importance of the setting in the story, making predictions... 

Now, I don't know about you, but sometimes I get lost in the storytelling of a book when I am doing a read aloud. Sometimes I have questions I know I want to ask, but I get carried away in the moment and I forget. And then 20 minutes later I will remember something I meant to point out or a question I wanted to ask... long after the fact. It happens- but I have got you covered on this read aloud! 

I have designed a set of read aloud Post-Its for you to print and stick in the book to help you remember where to stop and question. 

If you haven't ever printed on Post-ITs before you will love it! They look so nice and are so easy to use. (Kids also love to write on Post-Its that you have printed on- they are intrigued by the idea of printing on a Post-It note!)

*One tip I want to share with you about printing on Post-Its- mark your copy paper when you put it into the printer tray to print the Post-It template so you will know how to feed it into the printer when you have placed the Post-It Notes on top.*



Grab your story question


I also have a FREE set of anchor chart components that you can grab from my TpT store if you are interested...



And I also have a set of Cranberry Thanksgiving activities (including a cute Mr. Whiskers craft project) available for purchase...




I love Cranberry Thanksgiving and hope that you will read it to your class and they will love it just as much! 

Warmest Thanksgiving wishes to you and yours!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In November...