During Reader's Workshop we have been focusing on character. For the first portion of our unit I read the novel From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler . What a great story to teach character- the main characters Claudia and Jamie are so distinct and have such personalities that my students could really envision the characters and get to know them. After we finished the novel I wanted to continue to work with the concept of character. The first story I chose was Squirrel Park. It is by one of my all time favorite authors- Lisa Campbell Ernst. First I read the story... Then we charted the 3 main characters- Chuck, Stuart, and Mr. Ivey. First, I just wrote their names and sketched a picture of each. (I did not list any character traits at this point.) I then sent students off to their seats to draw and list describing character words for each character. After students completed this, we met back together and then completed the chart. Her...
I love old(ish) picture books. I am a vintage girl at heart and when choosing read alouds I often find myself gravitating towards older books. Now, The Vanishing Pumpkin is not terribly old (published in 1983) but it reminds me of the Halloweens of my childhood with its illustrations and vocabulary. The Vanishing Pumpkin is written by Tony Johnston, but it is illustrated by Tomie dePaola who has a very distinct artistic style. If you have any Tomie dePaola books in your classroom library you might want to pull them out to compare the styles before or after your read aloud. This book is chock full of rich vocabulary: snitched (stolen), perched, rapscallion, fresh (sassy), varmint, wickedly, and some fun examples of alliteration: "lucky lizards", "in fact, they fairly flew", "great grizzlies", I have created a FREE, quick, cute jack-o-lantern craft and quick writing activity that you could use with this book if you would like. J...
Do you teach the water cycle in your science instruction? If so- here are 5 books you might want to check out... The Water Cycle a Bobby Kalman book Did a Dinosaur Drink This Water by Robert E. Wells All the Water in the World by George Ella Lyon and Katherine Tillotson Magic School Bus at the Waterworks by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen A Drop in the Ocean: The Story of Water by Jacqui Bailey My very favorite is... This is an excellent book that teaches the water cycle in an interesting format! Kids will love it! Try to find it in your local library or on Amazon. If you are looking for materials to teach the Water Cycle- I have Interactive Notebook Pages available in my TpT store! Happy Teaching!
Comments
Post a Comment